10 August 2011 | By: Unknown

In Progress - Pumpkin's Quilt

I've made a patchwork and fleece quilt for each of my children.  I started with my step-daughter back in 2001.  Her's was finished in time for her second Christmas.  Munchkin's was done before I went to boot camp; he was four and a half years old.  Little Miss's was done for her fourth Christmas; she was almost four.  My goal for Pumpkin is his second birthday.  Each of my children's quilts have a fleece backing.  My step-daughter [Falconer]'s is a night sky with stars, moons, and clouds.  Munchkin's is a day-time sky with clouds and hot air balloons.  Little Miss's is also a day-time sky with clouds, but her's also has rainbows and stars.  Pumpkin's will have a day-time sky with clouds.

I bought the fabric for Pumpkin's quilt in June and shortly thereafter started working on the pattern I wanted.  I found six fabrics and the fleece for the back to make into the blanket.  I thought bugs and small critters would be a good theme for Pumpkin's blanket.  Some of the fabrics I found had plants or leaves on them, I just found other fabric that tied in together.  There wasn't enough variety of fabrics with just bugs or critters.

Laying out the cut pieces:
 
For Pumpkin's blanket I decided to make the pieces into diamonds instead of my usual squares.  At first it was difficult to figure out how to actually cut the fabric and keep the angles and sizes equal.  Then, I cut a piece of thin cardboard in the right size and shape I used that as my guide.

With my family out of town for nearly a month, I've had most evenings to pursue my projects.  As mentioned in earlier posts, I made curtains and am hanging pictures in our new home.  This weekend I devoted to sewing the pieces of the quilt together.  I realized pretty quickly that I didn't calculate the yardage correctly and I needed to purchase more fabric.  After going to two Jo-Ann's and calling the third, I found out that the brown Debbie Mum was not in stock, and that Jo-Ann's would not be receiving anymore of Debbie Mum fabric in the future.  I had to find a different material to finish the quilt; you can see some in the pictures below.

My progress so far:

 What do you think?  Do you have a similar tradition for your children?

0 comments: