05 August 2011 | By: Unknown

Curtains

Finally, I finished putting curtains up.  Here are the pics and explanations. No, I am not a master decorator.  I tried to be frugal and tie in with everyone's likes and general feel for a room.

These floral panels cover our front window.  They were purchased off the rack when we lived in Indiana.  They were in storage for 5.5 years.  Now they let the natural light in and keep a passerby from seeing much.  These curtains are in our living room.
This little green curtain is over our front door.  It was purchased off the rack and modified to better fit the window size.  We bought it when we moved into our last home.  If I find a suitable match for the living room curtains, I will make a new over door curtain with it.
These cream with roses and ivy curtains were purchased on clearance.  They are to tie in with the kitchen curtains that I didn't have enough material for.  My physical therapist suggested that I find something that will go with the ivy.  When I saw these in the store I knew it would work, both are cream background and both have green leaves on them.  This just has flowers as well.  These curtains are in the dining room

The ivy pattern for these curtains was purchased for curtains in our home in Indiana, but I was never able to make them [they were stored for 5.5 years].  Now, I have three large windows that need covering instead of two small ones.  I re-purposed an old cream fitted sheet [no matching top sheet] to make them.  These curtains are for the back door and the kitchen windows; these form a bay window & door.*

These blue curtains were purchased on clearance.  One was 63" and one was 84"; they were last two in the store.  I cut and re-hemmed the longer one to match.  These curtains are in the boys' bedroom.
 

These light blue butterfly and floral curtains were made from a re-purposed top sheet [no matching fitted].  Little Miss and I like it so much that we decided it should become her curtains.  These curtains are in the girl's room.
These pastel blocks with scripture verses and butterflies were purchased off the rack; they were sold as individual shower curtains.  I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them.  We didn't need another shower curtain; but they are fabric.  I ripped out the plastic at the top with the button holes for hooks and made a rod pocket to hang them with.  These curtains are in our extra bedroom.
These earth tone blocks with words were purchased off the rack.  I liked how these and the curtains in the extra bedroom had inspirational words.  The coloring for this is more muted and better matches bedding and furniture already in our bedroom, while the other is bright and lively for the general purpose room.  These curtains are in the master bedroom.**

I will need to figure out how to tie back the curtains when someone wants them out of the way.  I am not sure if I will make fabric ties or add curtain hooks.  I guess it depends on the room.  Also, our half bath has a small window and I'd like to make a curtain for it, so no window is left out.

* The curtains in the kitchen will have applique ivy added.  A friend explained how to do it, so after I finish a few other projects [Pumpkin's quilt] I will give it a go.

** As you can see with the master bedroom curtains they are quite sheer.  I have plenty extra of the "brown" material that's hanging behind the first panel.  It is actually woven from yellow gold and purple [bought it and made costumes when Hubby and I were dating; almost 11 years ago].  Both shades are in the curtains themselves.  We have a fair amount of green with our bedding so I think it'll still look fine after I make a lining for each panel.  I think I'll sew the panels separate and hang them on a second rod behind the first.

What do you think?  Do you have only blinds, curtains, or both, or something else in your home?

2 comments:

Erlene said...

Looks great! Good job getting creative.

emily said...

very nice!! I especially love Little Miss's sheets-turned-curtains!