28 August 2011 | By: Unknown

Things I'm Learning - Challenging Questions

We've discussed identifying emotions and learning our stuck points.  Now we are going to challenge the stuck points.  As with the A-B-C Worksheet, it is best to complete several to get the hang of it and start developing your own self awareness.  Click for a blank Challenging Questions Worksheet.


An Example-

Belief: I take antidepressants, so I must be screwed up.

1.  What is the evidence for and against this idea?
FOROther people's opinions.
AGAINST: I feel better when I take them.  It gives me time to make better decisions.

2. Is your belief a habit or based on facts?  Habit - listen to press/others and it seems like the whole world is on Prozac.

3. Are your interpretations of the situation too far removed from reality to be accurate?  I need the medications to feel better.

4. Are you thinking in all-or-none terms?  I tell myself if I don't take it today then I'll lose it.

5. Are you using words or phrases that are extreme or exaggerated (i.e., always, forever, never, need, should, must can't, and every time)?  I use words like "screwed up."

6. Are you taking the situation out of context and only focusing on one aspect of the event?  N/A

7. Is the source of information reliable?  Not - it's my belief.  Professionals feel I need it.  Other people tell me it's not worth a shit.

8. Are you confusing a low probability with a high probability?  Yes, I could get to a point where I didn't need it.

9. Are your judgments based on feelings rather than facts?  Feeling is what others think.

10. Are you focused on irrelevant factors?  Lots - it really helps me.  The person putting the medication down probably needs medication, too.

***********************************
my A-B-C Worksheet [to show stuck point]-

Activating Event - My LPO asks me if I'm mildly retarded.  I get laughed at by co-workers.
Belief - I can't believe he said that!  This is out of hand.  Its as bad as high school.
Consequences - I feel angry, shocked, hut, and mortified.
Are my thoughts above in "B" realistic? Yes.
What can I tell myself on such occasions in the future?  Stick up for myself.  Remember that what I think of myself is more important.



my Challenging Questions Worksheets-

Belief: My LPO has little respect for me.

1.  What is the evidence for and against this idea?
FORHe asked me if I'm mildly retarded.  I'm constantly being told I'm not doing enough (not making others' jobs easier).
AGAINST: I haven't been written up (yet).

2. Is your belief a habit or based on facts?  Both.

3. Are your interpretations of the situation too far removed from reality to be accurate?  No.

4. Are you thinking in all-or-none terms? Yes.

5. Are you using words or phrases that are extreme or exaggerated (i.e., always, forever, never, need, should, must can't, and every time)?  Kinda.

6. Are you taking the situation out of context and only focusing on one aspect of the event?  Yes.

7. Is the source of information reliable?  Yes, but more professionalism is needed in the work place.

8. Are you confusing a low probability with a high probability?  If my boss doesn't respect me, my co-workers won't either.

9. Are your judgments based on feelings rather than facts?  Yes.

10. Are you focused on irrelevant factors? He did the same thing during the inspection that he publicly humiliated me for.

0 comments: