28 July 2010 | By: Unknown

Our Exceptional Children, Part III

In our journey to better understand our children and ourselves, we have sought information and guidance through several resources.  While we have had many struggles with the schools that our children attend, we are slowly making progress.  Through sheer perseverance, many prayers and insight, reading several books and websites, and enduring countless appointments, we are finally getting some answers.

Part III: There's a Family Link
I don't have much of a relationship with my parents. Bad history [Seriously, I didn't even finish high school living at home, the CPS social workers even said it was unsafe for me to live there.  I've been in and out of counseling my entire adult life to work through the issues from my childhood.]

With all the stuff Hubby & I are dealing with for our children, I've been inspired to call my parents. I know. That's the last thing I wanted to do.

What Happened When I Called:

I talked with my father in March about a book I was reading: Quirky, Yes. Helpless, No [it focuses on Asperger's Syndrome]. It was like a light bulb was going off while I was talking to him. I talked about my childhood, his childhood, my siblings, my children and their experiences, etc.

In June I called again. This time I spoke with my mother. I highly suggested she and my father read about Asperger's Syndrome, as that was what I discussed previously. I asked about my brother [at this point I believe that he may be, in fact, autistic - I have no proof, just my memories and information from books I've read]. She wrote down some stuff to look for at the library and promised to pass it on to my father.

I called two weeks ago. This time my father answered. He claimed to not have been told about my previous call. I again explained about my kids, and the need for more information about my family history to better help my children. I mentioned Asperger's, autism, sensory processing, etc. My father mentioned that he remembered that my brother was diagnosed with ADHD. I asked him to contact ARC and/or the school district to find out what the more accurate diagnosis is, and to please pass along what they find out.

Last week I got a card in the mail. My parents had contacted the school district and state department of health. Both of my siblings were diagnosed with mild autism and ADHD. My father states "I am unclear as to the actual date that Asperger's Syndrome (AS) was recognized." He also wrote that he and my mother "are reading up on AS [Asperger's Syndrome] and trying to grasp the concepts both adult and childhood that may have or are still affecting us severally or me in particular."

Woah.

I should add that my father has always maintained that there is nothing wrong with him; that my brother's issues were a direct result from a corrective surgery he had at age three; on and on. Him acknowledging anything is HUGE.

As we gather more information, I will post more pages on the various difficulties our children face.

1 comments:

Emily said...

acknowldegement IS huge. Nothing can happen until that point is reached. I'm glad you felt inspired to talk to your parents. I hope the information will help you on your search. good luck.