16 June 2010 | By: Unknown

Our Exceptional Children, Part I

In our journey to better understand our children and ourselves, we have sought information and guidance through several resources.  While we have had many struggles with the schools that our children attend, we are slowly making progress.  Through sheer perseverance, many prayers and insight, reading several books and websites, and enduring countless appointments, we are finally getting some answers.


Part I:  Asperger's Syndrome (An Autism Spectrum Disorder)
Some good information on Asperger's Syndrome can be found at the following websites:
Asperger Syndrome Fact Sheet by National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
The Online Asperger Syndrome Information And Support Center by OASIS and MAAP (Here's a more specific article and summary from this website.)

Some professionals that have experience with those diagnosed with Asperger's:
Cynthia La Brie Norall, Ph.D. -- We were lent a book by this author, it helped us begin to truly understand what our family is dealing with.  It really opened my eyes; I had to re-evaluate my entire childhood.
Tony Attwood, Ph.D.
Jeanette McAfee, M.D.

Do not despair, as seen with this link, there are positives.

As we gather more information, I will post more pages on the various difficulties our children face.
Part III

2 comments:

Shanna said...

I have a nephew with Asperders.

Debbie, Lee, Rachele and Kenny said...

I have a few family friends and one child in my primary class with it...they all function well, with the proper guidance. which I know you'll do!! Good luck on the info hunt...I look forward to the great info you'll find!!