31 January 2009 | By: Unknown

New Years Memories

I stumbled across this on Carrie's blog. I thought this was a good way to think about the past year in a different light and maybe realize something I missed.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? I think the most I ever made with a job (before the Navy) was about 10k. This past year I doubled that, and with my bonus, tripled. I know we are by no means rolling in the dough, but we are finally getting somewhere. Thankfully, our housing allowance is non-taxable and that helps out soooo much.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't make any

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? my visiting teaching companion

4. Did anyone close to you die? no

5. What countries did you visit? none. Though we did get lost when my family first moved here and we were within two miles of the border when we found a way to turn around.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? more harmony

7. What was your biggest achievement of the year? getting my clearance back

8. What was your biggest failure? Nearly lapsing back into depression/anxiety after weaning off medication. I really wish I didn't have that monkey on my back. It affects all aspects of my life. I've really made improvements with how I understand/deal with things, but dang it, its just really hard sometimes.

9. Did you suffer illness or injury? not really an injury, but I have unresolved issues with my right shoulder...

10. What was the best thing you bought? our new van

11. Where did most of your money go? debt

12. What did you get really, really, really excited about? the travel allowance for my family moving

13. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a. both b. thinner (not by much) c. way less debt, no savings to speak of

14. What do you wish you’d done more of? quality time with my kids

15. What do you wish you’d done less of? stressing out

16. What was the best book you read? one of the last Work and the Glory books (finished in early 2008)

17. What did you want and get? my family moved here on 1 March

18. What did you want and not get? a vacation

19. What kept you sane? I don't know about sane; functioning, yes.

20. Who did you miss? old friends back in IN

21. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? not sure

22. What song will always remind you of 2008? Please Don't Stop the Music

23. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? work uniforms

24. Who was the best new person (people) you met? I actually met my visiting teaching companion in the second half of 2007 (after moving to San Diego for training); when my family moved here we were assigned to work together. She's pretty awesome, i.e. prior to my family moving she was my ride every week for church.

25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. You have to love and forgive yourself first, no one's efforts will make a difference if you can't do this.

0 comments: