03 September 2011 | By: Unknown

Fixing My Sewing Machine

Yesterday, I took apart my sewing machine.  I cleaned it.  I greased it.  Then, I put it back together.  I ended up with a few screws that I wasn't sure where they went.
 

Today, I tested it.  The motor wasn't engaging the shaft to work the machine.  I took plastic casing off and investigated the problem.  I hadn't put the outer knob/wheel on correctly and it didn't engage with the gear behind it - the one with the belt that ran to the motor.  After fixing this, the machine worked.  I put the plastic casing back on.  I had less screws left over.

I tested it again.  The machine worked.  I re-hemmed the travel diaper bag and diaper pail liner.  The travel bag worked well.  I kept having issues with the liner.  It seemed as if the threads weren't catching on each other and would skip stitches periodically.  The travel bag and pail liner are both PUL.  Maybe the stretch of the fabric was causing the problem.  I'll try a different fabric and see if the machine continues to have issues.

Update:  The machine is sewing cotton and cotton blends just fine.  Whew.

I am still researching a new machine.  I found a few store in the are that are authorized dealer for the big brands.  I want to test a few machines before I make my final decision.  Thank you for any feedback on what you own and recommend.

0 comments: