04 March 2011 | By: Unknown

Where I Sleep

Ships have single gender berthing.  Berthing is the sleeping quarters.  Most berthing have racks or bunks two or three high and in several rows.  I've been told they can be as small as 8 racks and as large as 100+, I've only slept in 32 and 45 rack berthings.

The bed is narrower than a standard twin, the length that it rests on is longer but the mattress is not.  Depending on the set up you may or may not have enough space above you to roll over (think of the size of your shoulders).

Your primary storage is below your bed, called a coffin rack.  Your coffin rack is evenly divided into five sections.  The middle section is further divided, the back is straight across, the middle is divided in half, and the front is also in half - the left has a flap you can add an extra lock to and the right hold your EEBD.  The EEBD is your Emergency Escape Breathing Device.  They also have these all over the ship, especially in work spaces.

You also have a stand up locker, designed for hanging up your dress uniforms, jackets and peacoat.  It's tall enough to hang a hip length jacket from the hanger bar at the top.  Depending on the person's overall height they may or may not have some room under their hanging clothes to store extras like shoes or laundry soap underneath.  It is about a foot wide.

If packed well, you can store quite a bit of things in your lockers; including a full set of uniforms, toiletries, personal items, civilian clothes, books, etc etc.  I probably have enough stuff to fill three sea bags and my garment bag.  Then again, I packed for being away from home for eight months.


My rack while TAD on a destroyer.
Behind the near curtain is my rolled up sleeping bag. 

Most berthing has a head, or bathroom inside it as well.  Those that do not have them nearby.  Destroyers usually have one or two shower stalls and two to four toilets.  On the carrier they had three showers and three to five toilets.  Granted, I have only used enlisted female heads, and painted an enlisted male head.
Oh, most berthing spaces also have a lounge of some sort.  Whether it is a small card table with a couple chairs or a few tables with four chairs each and even a TV.  These items are all attached to the floor or wall; chairs on a carrier are not always.

What do you think, could you live here?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I found out my comments aren't working properly. I've checked and re-checked my settings and can't seem to find what the issue is. Since everything else seems to be correct, I'm hoping this comment actually works. Here goes...